Our School in the Past
Scoil Mhuire Lacken at present is situated in the parish of Ballintemple Co. Cavan and is an amalgamation of three schools: Legaginney National School, Drumbrade National School & Wateraughty National School.
Legaginney National school
Legaginney National School was situated near St. Micheal's Church, Potahee. The school closed on August 4th 1950. The stones and other building materials including the slates from the school were used to build a local family home ( pictured above) which is situated near the present Scoil Mhuire National School
Drumbrade National School
Drumbrade National School was situated near the railway bridge in the townland of Drumbrade. This school closed on August 4th 1950. The building was renovated and is now the home of a local Family.
Wateraughty National School
Wateraughey School was situated in the town land of Wateraughey – near Losset Creamery. The school closed on September 19th 1971. The building was purchased and renovated for use by the Fisheries Board.
Our school today- Scoil Mhuire Lacken
Scoil Mhuire Lacken opened in 1950 and is presently a seven teacher school, located outside the town of Ballinagh. Many of our students follow in the footsteps of their Parents, Grandparents and in some cases their great Grandparents as they continue a long tradition of attending school in the parish of Potahee.
The school currently has four mainstream classrooms, two Special Education classrooms, a General Purpose hall, soft play area, spacious playground, football pitch, school garden and our very own STEAM room.
Scoil Mhuire is a school were everyone's abilities and talents are fostered and nurtured.
The pictures below provide a glimpse of our world at Scoil Mhuire Lacken.
Our Astro Turf- Junior Yard
Our Outdoor Activity Area.
Our Basketball Court
Our Sports Pitch & Running Track
Engaging Playground Activities